Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Pyrex Prize Recipes


As some of you might know.....I looooooovvvvvvveeeeee
Pyrex!
I also love vintage cookbooks. So it was with great thrill that I bought the Pyrex prize recipes cookbook last year.
I don't always try the recipes, in fact I really enjoy looking at the pictures and fantasizing about the way life used to be...
I did try one recipe ;the coffee crumb cake. It was good but not AMAZING and awfully messy with all those crumbs,and I'm a bit of a cheapskate so 3/4 cups of pecans was mighty expensive!
This book was published in 1953 and dedicated to all men,women and children who love to cook in Pyrex ware.I doubt very much that a lot of men were cooking in 1953....maybe bachelors and widowers but i'm sceptical!
My copy belonged to Rose French of Elmira N.Y and she got it May 16th 1956. I checked the internet and Mother's Day was on May 13th that year,maybe it was a belated gift. I like the fact that my book used to belong to a real person and I wonder what recipes she made.
And the pictures! Oh my,oh my!

Look at all the different ways you can use your Pyrex Flameware coffepot!
You can use it for iced tea, cooking corn,sausages,tomato sauce,asparagus and the white one in the middle is......believe it or not.....Spaghetti! LOL
I guess you can use it to brew coffee as well...
What about a buffet spread served uniquely in Pyrex? It can be done!
You need a primary colors refrigerator set, a primary colors bowl set (series 400) and 2 hostess sets (one red and one yellow) and last but not least some Flameware coffeepots to serve the beverages!
I love the flower arrangement done in the green bowl.
I also like to see what people ate. I see chicken,rolls, salad,olives,nuts and POPCORN??? Do you eat popcorn with chicken?
It makes me think of the Peanuts thanksgiving cartoon where Peppermint Patty serves toast,jelly beans and popcorn...
And for more retro fun don't forget to check out this fun blog : http://www.crazysuburbanmom.com/
Have a great day! :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I would never think of all that stuff in flameware ... and loved all the pic.

Im a total sucker for those cookbooks.

Drool

Toronto Yardsaler said...

Vonlipi,
I just got the Pyrex you sent me. Thank you so much. It's gorgeous. I've posted a whole thing on my blog with pictures, etc. You're amazing. I'll be packing up your baby soon.
Cheers!
Erin

Thrifted Treasure said...

Ooh a Pyrex buffet! I love serving up in all my white pyrex at once when I have friends over :-) Saw the gorgeous dish you sent Toronto Yardsaler, so lovely!

MomWaldsPlace said...

Here I thought the retro photos had me speechless, but did I just spot a chicken!?