Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Guy was right!

People are watching triple D and actually planning vacations around spots Guy visited! We do it too, well not exactly....We decided to go to Maine and then researched for some Guy approved diners after.
 We went first to The Maine Diner located on rte 1 in Wells, Maine.

The famous sign. The diner is opened later in summer.
They serve down east fare (?). We actually went there because Guy was besides himself about the seafood chowder and the lobster pie...

I got so excited I nearly forgot to take pics! Yes that is a lobster claw in the chowder. It was one of the best I've ever tasted. It was full of lobster,scallops,shrimps and clams.

This is the lobster pie, their very famous lobster pie. It's lobster in a dish top with Ritz cracker crumbs, butter and tomalley (yep the green stuff inside the lobster). OMG! I had a religious experience! This was lobster at its best, I nearly cried!

We liked it so much we came back for supper after a looonnnggg day of shopping and thrifting. I had the rubben and Dan had an open face roast beef sandwich with mushroom gravy. So,so good. I will remember the rubben for a long time, they cook their own corn beef. I decided to push the bounderies and have dessert...I ordered bread pudding served warm with whipped cream (at our sever's strong suggestion). That was a life altering dessert. I never knew bread pudding could be so tasty! It was a cross with Xmas and bread pudding, full od raisins and spices. OMG!
I wish we could've eaten there more, but we had to go home the next day....

Speaking of Friday we headed south to Kittery for some outlet shopping and Bob's Clam Hut!

Yes that is snow pilled real high!

More snow!

We had clam chowder and fish chowder and Lillian style fried clams. I was surprised to see our order top with a mound of delicious freshly made onion rings! Everything was fresh and delicious! They used recyclable containers and compostable utensils. They have the most attentive young man in the dining room who's always wanting to get you refills, check on your order, get you napkins, it's really nice.
 Those clams were much better than some we had in Old Orchard....We will be back to both those restaurants! I can't wait!
So you see Guy was right! :)


11 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh man! This is sooooo cool. I WANT to go to some of Guy's 3D's, but haven't made it to any of them yet.

I want some bites of YOUR meals now!

;-)

The White Pear Tree said...

Pardon my ignorance, but who is this Guy and what is this triple D you speak of?

And curses on you for showing this delicious looking fried food when I am trying to lose weight, LOL!!! Oooh, it looks so good, just looking at it is a religious experience and I'm sure it made me gain weight! I've never been to Maine, but now I am thinking it might be a great trip!

Tara Beaulieu said...

I am blessed to live down the road from one of the RI hot spots shown on Triple D.

Guy's wife is from RI and they vacation here every other summer, so we are lucky to have our little state featured on the show periodically.

I live in Narragansett, RI which is home to Crazy Burger- they featured it back in 2009 I believe. Some of the best burgers (made from all manner of things, not just beef) I've ever tasted. If Guy likes it, you can bet it's gonna be tasty!

You're lucky to go shopping in Kittery, the outlets there are fabulous!

The White Pear Tree said...

Oh, never mind, I googled it. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, lol! I'll have to catch his show.

Jill said...

I love seafood and seafood in Maine is soooo good!! We've driven from Ontario to PEI numerous times thru "The States" - oh, I would love to be sitting down for some New England seafood right now!!! A great place we discovered on our last trip was Ken's Kove in Bridgton, Maine - we think about it often - it was the best!!! Your meals look scrumptious!!! Lucky you!!!

Jim said...

Now I'm hungry AGAIN, and I just ate!!! Thanks! lol
You could easily be a food critic, you know. Good post.

Bargain Hunting Treasure Seeker said...

How fun!!! We tried to visit one of the restaurants from the show on our vacation a couple of years ago and we got there 1 minute after they closed-after driving all day to get there! We were so bummed,but we got some good pictures of the outside! Thanks for sharing!!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love to watch Triple D and I have promised myself I will visit some of those in my area...you have just reinforced that decision. YUMMY!

anu said...

The french fries look yum. i tried preparing from this French Fries Recipe Video

Alyssa said...

Oooh, how cool to see you ate there! I always think if we're in an area that Guy was, we need to try one of the featured places. Looks yummy!

Unknown said...

I can't even tell you how hungry I am now. I was before I read that post but now --- Im going to eat a shoe