Thursday, November 12, 2009

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Salt Box


A lot of things I have in my house I know nothing about....like the salt box.
I had to call my Dad who has an amazing memory and an eternal love for thrifting. He bought it in a sale, probably a church sale in the 60's.
It date from 1890-1900 and was supposed to be hung next to wood oven. Salt was used to flvour foods and extinguish cooking fires.
Right now more than a hundred years later, it hangs on a cupboard covered in beadboard and is used to hold all the keys. You can't find the keys for your bicycle? in the salt box! The garden shed keys? ditto!
I will never part with it, it is one of my favorite pieces. Now I'm glad I know more about it. Thanks Dad! :)
Don't forget to visit Colorado Lady at www.coloradolady.blogspot.com ! Have a great day

12 comments:

Postcardy said...

I love your salt box. I never knew that salt was used for fires.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

It's a lovely piece with an even lovelier story behind it.

Maureen said...

I love that you use your vintage salt box.

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

That is soooooooo way cool! You have the neatest things...

Keetha Broyles said...

Really cool, I wouldn't want to part with it either!

Roslyn said...

My Mum always had a salt box by the stove, I never thought about using it to extinguish a fire! Yours is very interesting, very old.

marianedwardsdreamweaver said...

what a GEM..i LOVE it!!

Robin Ennis Willson said...

How cool is that? I wouldn't part with it either. Precious because of it's history in your family. Great that it's still in such good shape.

~~Carol~~ said...

I love your old salt box, and it's a great family heirloom! It's neat that you're actually using it for something too. It's not just hanging there looking pretty!
Happy VTT!
Carol

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

LOVE you vintage Salt! What a treasure.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

concretenprimroses said...

Nice piece!
Kathy

Ruby said...

I've seen these before but didn't know the history. Thanks for sharing. Your snowflake casserole is way cool!