Friday, January 1, 2010

Hoppin' John


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Did you eat some black eyed peas? You must! They insure you'll get good luck and moneyssss!
We all need money! LOL
So this morning I made a batch of Hoppin' John. Hoppin' John is a southern recipe. A delicious mix of rice,black eyed peas,bacon, tomatoes...DELICIOUS!
I started doing this after hearing about it from Paula Deen y'all.
It is very cheap and filling and very comforting! Dan eats it for breakfast...It's great for lunch.
I got the recipe from the internet but couldn't find it if my life depended on it! I did find a lot of great recipes , some more complicated than other. I used canned black eyed peas and no ham hock, i had delicious bacon instead!
I also heard last week that you had to eat cabbage on New Year for good luck...I won't, afterall bean is the musical fruit!

4 comments:

CC said...

I always have heard the black eyed peas on New Years brought good luck throughout the year..and eating cabbage ensured you would have money. Since I forgot to get cabbage at the store,and being too lazy to go back out,we'll be having peas and no cabbage. hmmmmm
we'll have lots of luck and no money????? *sighs..I shold have gone back to the store.. :).
Happy New Year..may it bring many blessings..

Maureen said...

It looks good! Especially in those Pyrex bowls.

Unknown said...

I lived in North Carolina for a few years and that's pretty far south - And yes...Big Hoppin' John country. Black eyed peas in general actually... But you're right this is very good... And I should never go read blogs when I'm hungry... It only makes it worse! lol

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I love Hoppin John! I love almost all bean recipes! I'm a full-fledged member of the "Musical Food Club".