Sunday, November 28, 2010

Favorites

Yesterday I woke up to this, a wintry wonderland. I love snow, it makes me happy.

Other things that make me happy are kitchen gadgets.

Here are my favorites of 2010. 


1) The vintage tomato slicer. Bought in the Salvation army for .99cents. Granted it's not the original made by Ecko, but a cheaper Holland version. It's marked TOMADO HOLLAND.
It's the best to slice tomatoes in nice even slices; perfect for sandwiches.

2) The Farberware  PRO Santoku knife. The food slices itself, no joke! It was a Xmas gift 3 years ago.

3) The Fireking jadeite batter bowl, vintage as well. I think Fireking really hit the nail on the head on this one. Unlike Pyrex's Cinderella bowls, it pours well....lol. It's perfect of beating eggs and making instant pudding and all things Jell-O.

And now, one of my favorite lunches! A grilled cheese with veggies. 

Full of robust goodness. Tomatoes,avocado, green onions and lower fat cheddar cheese make a delicious sandwich. Served on a Bradford House Pyres plater , add a crunchy and sour Moishes pickle and you'll be in heaven! Luncheon heaven that is!

Hailed as Montreal's original Steakhouse since 1938, Moishest has been a favorite for generations. I've never been because it was considered too expensive. But I do like their pickles!

7 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Fabulous kitchen favorites! I love the jadeite pouring bowl!

Missouri Michael said...

I have one of those Fire King batter bowls. Unfortunately, it is clear glass and not the great jadeite like yours. Still, it is a handy piece to have around the kitchen!

SixBalloons said...

That looks like a great lunch, yummers.

Keetha Broyles said...

We have had just about that same amount of snow here in Central Wisconsin too. I also love snow and am sooooo glad to hear you say it!

Seeing your pyrex in these pictures lets me know that you will understand this little tale of woe - - -

The other day, I opened the dishwasher door, pulled out the bottom rack and heard a huge "crash." It was the small oval pyrex casserole breaking. That casserole was given to us NEW as a wedding present in 1975. I LOVED it.

The lid, which was up on the top rack, did not break. I couldn't bring myself to throw it out, maybe one day in a small antique shop somewhere I will find a baking dish bottom to go with my lid.

At least I can hope - - -

Linda said...

Thanks for checking-in on my blog and leaving such a nice message!
On the gadget front - I'm totally in awe as I have never seen anyone use their Jadeite before. They are so rare, and you're so lucky to have one that looks like it's in great shape. I've only seen them on eBay and etsy, so it is nice to see someone actually enjoying the kitchenware.

By the way, I will be in Ottawa near the holidays. Do you have any recommendations on where to search for vintage Pyrex in Ottawa? : )

Alyssa said...

Oh that bowl! It's gorgeous. Oh dear. I think I'll have to keep an eye out for one. So the tomato slicer works well? I see them from time to time, but haven't picked one up. Maybe I should!

Unknown said...

You know what, funny you say that about pouring. I have a pampered chef batter bowl and when I try and use it all I do is spill stuff on me and I thought it was me!!! LOLOLOL