Friday, December 24, 2010

Almost Xmas!

This is the first year I feel so good @ Xmas. I feel calm, serene, in control, totally in the zone and full of Xmas joy. I think I finally realized that Xmas will never be perfect and I'm not stressed anymore.

Yesterday I baked some creme brulée, I've never made some, but I'm crossing my fingers it was super easy! It's for Veronica my step daughter, it's her favorite dessert and she orders it every chance she gets.

Here's all the ingredients and what do you know? I decided the best dishes to cook it in was the beautiful Pyrex Pixies.

Here they are ready for hot water for the bain marie. Thank god for food network! Watching all the shows helps with my technique.... 

Here's Veronica in all her Xmas glory. When I found this pic earlier this week, I cracked up I couldn't help myself! The hat and scarf are really meant for pets, My cats don't want to wear them, and I've tried numerous times....This was taken 5 years ago. I asked her permission before posting this,lol.

This morning, bright and early I baked this delicious french quatre quart (pound cake) with almonds for tomorrow. We are spending Xmas evening with friends (Like a mega sleep over) and I was asked to bring dessert...Of course this being Xmas, I couldn't just bring one thing!  

 So I'm bringing: The almond cake, Xmas shortbread, caramel corn, raspberry drop cookies and pfeffernusse (the round cookies in the box). These are my totaly fave Xmas treat!


I finally finished the tree last night. I realized that we bought a mutant totally uneven tree!
It is what it is.

We don't smoke but I love vintage ashtrays....What can a girl do? Here are my 2 faves: the brown one that doubles  as a magazine rack (1$ at a garage sale 10 years ago) and the bowling Hull heart ashtray, bought last year for 2$ at Finnegan's flea in Hudson.

Here's Henry hanging out with Santa and one of our dearly departed cats; Polpetonne (meatball), he was the nicest cat EVER and would fall asleep in my arms.

Dan is on vaccum duty, after it's shower time and the presents need to go under the tree :)

Merry Xmas to everyone!

P.s: Xmas will never, ever, ever be perfect, so take a chill pill ;)
   

4 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Isn't it amazing how much less stress there is when you realize Christmas will never be perfect so just go with it! I'm cooking and wrapping gifts! Enjoy and Merry Christmas! hugs, Linda

Maureen said...

Everything looks wonderful V. Especially when Henry makes an appearance!

For the first time ever, I am in the chill zone this year too! If I got it, I got it, if I didn't... c'est la vie.

Enjoy the holidays.

Maureen

Mimi said...

Merry Xmas Miss V! Everything looks spectacular! Cheers!

Unknown said...

Sigh, everything looked wonderful and love the baby pyrex! I have two of those in an olive green color. I'd thought of selling them - I think they are called pixies but I never could bring myself to do it, I find them really handy for dips and things :)