Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Retro Tuesday: Tuesday is....

Soylent Green day! Of course! How could we forget that?

First of all I want to thank every one who sent me some Get Well Soon comments! As a matter of fact I slept much better (6 hours is way better than 2) and today my head is clearer.

So for Retro Tuesday today my post will be food related...

And movie related....

Ok so yesterday I watched Soylent Green. Made in 1973 directed by Richard Fleisher and starring Charlston Heston. This movie was a big deal in the 70’s.
Here’s a bit of the story…The earth is over populated, man has used up a lot of ressources (sounds familiar???), real food is scarce and the government is feeding most of the population with Soylent (red,orange,green). Turns out that the green kind is not made with planckton as advertised….Soylent Green is people!!!


Talk about the ultimate recycling! Here's a taste!



I remember being all impressed with that movie when I first saw it the late 70’s,but yesterday I laughed quite a lot…A woman had a kitchen full of Corelle cornflower blue dishes, contraband no doubt.

Some sets are really great examples of 70’s design. You get to see some popular actors from that period also. But what got me is that the guy who wrote the book was a visionary…And the planet is dying and we’re too late to do something….woa! that is WAY too depressing for a Tuesday! One thing is for sure: I don’t want to eat Soylent Green!

Happy Retro Tuesday everyone! And don't forget to visit my pal Tracy at the Original Retro Tuesday party right HERE !!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG - maybe thats what my jello was in the post.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love old movies but never saw this one. Sounds like one to check out!

Maureen said...

Talk about an active imagination...

P.S. I have a piece of Pyrex that I can't identify. Could I send you a pic to see if you might know it? It's marked England and I can't find it anywhere. (My email addy is on my blog - top right.)

Mimi said...

LOL! I recently made a recipe from my Vintage WW cookbook that looked exactly like soylent green! Actually, it was made of soybeans (not people) but it was still very gross. Here's the link:
http://theskinnyjeansproject.blogspot.com/2010/03/attack-of-mystery-loaf-part-one.html

concretenprimroses said...

Cute recipe box, and so wonderful to have your grandmother's clippings.
Kathy