Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Retro Tuesday: Hostess Set & Prize Recipes

Hostess set? What the? Of course I'm talking about Pyrex people!

So looking for something sweet for Retro Tuesday I laid eyes upon my Pyrex Prize Recipes book published in 1953.

Leafing through it I couldn't help but fawn over the Hostess Set. No I don't have a complete one, I have pieces of one...
 And this recipe looks almost edible in the bright red bowl!


Not only tasty but inexpensive! Ok I admit that this might be pretty good on a cold night! Is this a side dish or the main dish? Any idea?


BBQ chicken with all the fixings! Doesn't look really BBQ but I could definitely eat this!



See? everything tastes and look better in Pyrex!

It's a known fact! So get in the kitchen and cook something in Pyrex!

Have a great Retro Tuesday! Be sure to hop,skip and jump and say hi to my PMSing pal Tracy @


10 comments:

Leah said...

I just saw 2 pcs of the hostess set yesterday. One was red & one was washed/faded to pink :)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Never saw the hostess set. I must get some more info on Pyrex as I'm new to the addiction but want MORE! Is there a book you would recommend?

Vonlipi said...

Leah: Great to hear from you :)

Linda: I have 2 Pyrex books and love them both.

Pyrex the unauthorized collector's guide by Barbara E. Mauzy is considered by many THE book, but I find it has big gaps.

Pyrex by Corning a collector's guide by Susan Tobier Rogove and Marcia Buan Steinhauer has a lot of info on the history of Pyrex and of the older pieces. This one is out of print but you can find it at Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

I also rely on this site: The Pyrex files http://dragonfire1.50megs.com/Pyrex/Pyrex.htm and Pyrex Love.

Hope that helps :)

Maureen said...

So shall I keep my eyes 'peeled' for the red Pyrex for you? Often I come across Pyrex and wonder if I should pick it up or not.

Oh, and the chicken looks like it's going to get up and leave the Pyrex. Haha!

Vonlipi said...

Maureen, I've been looking for 3 or 4 small red bowls like the ones in this post or 2 yellow ones.

If you grab some let me know! :)

Toronto Yardsaler said...

Want it, want it, want it.
BTW, how did "the press" go? I'm dreading the day and it's coming soon.
Erin

Vonlipi said...

Erin, since I lost 30 pounds it made it easier for the press to do its job and painless!

I was really surprised! I blinked and it was over!

mallorymurray said...

Hilarious! I love Pyrex and collect a bunch of the dishes but have never seen the recipe book. Hot dogs and corn bread? Yuuuck

Mimi said...

Hooray! Frankfurters and Pyrex! My favorite things....

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

You know I saw that yellow set at an estate sale - given my a company I loathe by the way.

I cant remember the price exactly - there were two sets very good one yellow, one red ... over $60 as I recall. each set.

And honestly I loved them but that company charges so much for everything and the house was such a mess, the woman was a horder. Like I had to take stuff home and leave it out to make sure spiders were gone. Thats how bad - and they were charging retain when you had to root thru a basement like that... awful