Saturday, May 21, 2011

Fiddleheads, Thrifty Finds and Kitschy Lunch!

Here up north, it's a long weekend: Fete des Patriotes in Québec and Victoria Day for the rest of Canada. Usually we pack the car and head to Maine or New Hampshire and even to Ontario....But not this year.

We are painting the living room and dining room and the staircase....It was long overdue!

But first things first! It is fiddlehead season and I couldn't resist. I love the green wild taste. It tastes like the forest.

Fiddleheads are the furled fronds of young ferns.

You need to blanch them then cook them in a skillet with a bit of butter. I added some cayenne and salt and pepper.
It looks even better in a sweet Pyrex casserole!

Even if we had a lot of work to do today we had to run some errands....and lo and behold we came accross a HUGE garage sale, I just had to stop because let's face it I'm a total addict and I haven't found mucho cool stuff in a while!

I was rewarded with this:


A 70's pitcher and a melmacesque(no stamp) cream and sugar set in a lovely shade of salmon. I say melmacesque  but it really feels like Melmac.

I also found a red pouch filled with stuff for a quarter. The stuff was porcelain brooches ,a brooch and earrings set- lovely with rhinestones and roseries, quite a few!

Pictures later.

Now for lunch I was in a totally vintage,thrifty mood, so I made sandwiches....


We each had one half with pastrami and the other was ham.

They were served with pimento olives and vintage sword cocktail picks. I got a box of those still sealed in my fave church basement for a dime last year. They were made in Korea for F.W. Woolworth. Now i believe the last Woolworth was closed about 25 years ago in Montreal. It was on Ste-Catherine street, when it was a real shopping street, not just shoes and cheap and ridiculously small clothes.

We painted all through the afternoon and I also worked on  the BIG 2011 DE-CRAP-A-THON.

More painting for us tomorrow!

Sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite! :)

5 comments:

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

Good luck on the de-crap-athon, have been meaning to do that in my apartment for the past year... oops. Keep bringing home more 'junk' from the thrifts instead!

Love the pattern of the '70s pitcher and your sandwiches are adorable! It's a fun way to dress up lunch at home.

The White Pear Tree said...

LOL! Love how you take pics of your sandwiches! And the fiddleheads look so yummy, especially in that Pyrex.

I'm also a fan of Melmac. It's hard to find nice pieces though. They remind me so much of my childhood. Speaking of childhood, my best memory of Woolworth is eating rice pudding at the counter. Good ole days!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Those sandwiches look great! I love the little swords I remember them! The pitcher you found at the yard sale is wonderful. I'm in the middle of my huge "de-crap-a-thon" also and it's going slowly but going. hugs, Linda

The Joyful Thrifter said...

great pitcher!!! Love the colors!

Smiles,
the Joyful Thrifter

Unknown said...

Oh man I love that pitcher and I love melmac -- I think I wish I could find more. Im surprised I cant actually because I live in the area where boontonware was made. Im so surprised more isnt around