Monday, January 19, 2009

Sprouting



First of all I'd like to tell you that I saw some Obama earrings on Etsy. Come on people! What's up with that?
I know all the world's hopes are on President's Obama shoulders and I wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now...


I hope he doesn't disappoint you and I can't wait to see how it goes with our Prime Minister (Who's a spawn of Bush!) No, no I didn't vote for Mr. Harper (I don't vote for people who want to deny us our rights).

Ok now with our main program! In the 80's I was really into health food and I volunteered in a food Coop and living simpler. The 90's got the beat of me (lol) and I gave up most of that clean living but I never gave up sprouting... My first sprouter was a mason jar with a piece of screen or cheese cloth and an elastic band, but I wasn't crazy about that. The sprouts were always sitting in water and eurk...


Then I decide to go all out and buy a sprouter...The Biosta Sprouter! I remember paying in the neighborhood of 20 bucks and I started sprouting for real! And did I sprout!!! Alfalfa, lentils, mung beans, sunflower, radish...you name it I probably sprouted it!!! But after more than 20 years my sprouter was really tired and cracked aqnd the plastic was cloudy......I was thinking of replacing it but it is now 30 bucks and I thought it was a lot of money (and yet I bought an LCD tv.....funny where how our priorities are!)
I found this one at Value Village for 1.99 Mint no box but still with the little red thing-a-magiggs, you could tell that the pricing people didn't know what they were pricing!!! LOL


So this time around, with camera in hand I decide to chronicle the sprouting process....It usually takes between 3 to 5 days to get beautiful tender sprouts! Not the stinky yellow crap they sell in supermarkets....
I started last saturday so I should get results wednesday. On the top tray I have the spicy lentil crunch which contains green lentils,radish,alfalfa,mustard and red clover. On the second tray you have the ancient eastern blend which ids made of fenugreek,lentils,kamut and adzuki beans. The second mix is must faster to grow and you have to check it often other wise you get big ol'grass!!! Sticks in your teeth and everything!!!
I'll post an update on the sprouts soon....Later alligators! :)






No comments: