Sunday, December 27, 2009

The apple didn't fall far from the tree...


Last night we went over to my dad's for our Xmas dinner.
As usual we ate too much! Is that a surprise? NO! We had a lovely cucumber/yoghurt/onion salad, a seaweed salad and a green salad with 2 kinds of smoked salmon from Gaspésie (a Quebec region).
After we had Timbales aux huitres. I can't find a translation...sorry. It's kind of a oyster a la king in puff pastry. Unfortunatly I found out that a puff pastry shell has 12 grams of fat (which might explain why I feel all weird after eating some) so my dad experimented with toasts and bread and let's just say next year we'll have the puff pastry because it's so much better! Also dad gave us so much sweets and cheese that they should last until lent! Yes that much! I felt like I was in a imported groceries shop. But that's my dad! Generous like you would not believe!


Okay so by now you probably figured out that I LOVE Pyrex. Well recently I learned that my grandfather was a collector as well, a collector of everything....and my dad is a big collector of glassware,fry glass,clear Pyrex,dept 56 Dicken's Village and Fontanini Nativity figurines.
So the 2 pictures are of his nativity scene. It takes him at least one week to install and another to put it away. It's between 7 and 9 feet long and 6 feet high. I couldn't take a picture of the ceiling but it is filled with angels just floating around. It is very impressive.
It also makes me feel really good about my crazyness.It makes me feel that I'm not alone and I come from a long line of collectors....and characters!

5 comments:

mub said...

That nativity scene is awesome! I've never seen one so elaborate, it's just stunning =D

heidi said...

i [heart] pyrex, too! thanks for adding me to your blogroll! happy new year & all that...

concretenprimroses said...

Incredible scene!
Fun to look at thanks for posting it.
Kathy

Maureen said...

Talk about patience!

Unknown said...

O. M. G. See I would be so overwhelmed with putting it away Id never take that stuff out....