Friday, December 4, 2009

Mott's Clamato


This is the Clamato I've grown up with and love. I remember it being a special treat around the holidays. Mom and I would drink big glasses of the stuff (without the booze). I've since learned that it's basically made with tomato paste,monosodium glutamate,spices and probably the bottom of some aquarium...
But I still love it. I have nice memories of it. I think the bottle was glass back then. Well after my post yesterday about cocktail napkins I learned from a fellow canuck blogger that I was giving myself away because the Ceasar doesn't exist in the U.S....What the ???
Smarties don't exist and now ceasars? THE CEASAR? So of course that got me real curious and I went a diggin' on the web.
Here's what I learned about the Ceasar (bloody of course). I copied it becasue of my HUGE lazyness factor this morning...
And guess what? I can't paste the info !"/$%?&*()*&?%$!!!
Ok so One factor contributing to the success of clamato was the invention of the Bloody Ceasar in 1969. Walter Chell was commissioned by the proprietors of Marco's restaurant in Calgary, Alberta, Canada (who knew?). After 3 months of experiements, Chell discovered a spicy drink made of Clamato juice,vodka,salt,pepper,worchestershire, and a dash of oregano (oregano? OREGANO??? In MY ceasar???).
One strange fact: It seems that the majority of Clamato drinkers in the U.S. are Hispanics.
So the Ceasar is 40 years old. And if that is not vintage I don't know what is... I always thought you put Tabasco in a bloody ceasar...
Here you can buy little pre-mixed bottles of Ceasar, but I don't really like them. I haven't had one in over a year, make that 2 years! And the BESTEST Bloody Ceasar is made by one of my most faithfull reader (who happens to be my sister in law) Yes Johanne you! LOL
So get ready 'coz I might ring your doorbell and head for the kitchen to wait for my Bloody Ceasar!
Have a nice weekend y'all and don't drink and drive! And buckle up! And have your pets spayed or neutered!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, no I didn't know what that was, but I did figure it was something like this based on the context of the post and where you used it... I've seen clamato tho, never knew it was the basis of a drink till I saw your post than knew it must be!

but whats with the smarties? I missed that post.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I love Bloody Ceasars. Haven't had one in years; but now I have to go buy Clamato juice all because of you.

Poor sad Americans!!

Maureen said...

Oregano? Nope. Sorry. Remove oregano, add tabasco and lemon. Lots of tabasco. Voila!

P.S. Noooooo aquarium water either. haha