Sunday, July 26, 2009

Cream of lettuce and poached salmon


Did I ever mention that I grocery shop via the internet? And that the supermarket gives us free products when we spend a certain amount of money? Well Friday morning after I received my groceries I found out I had 2 FREE iceberg lettuce-ugh! I'm not a big fan of iceberg, to me it's a big ball of crunchy nothing!
I hate to waste food...so I had to find a recipe! FAST! Of course I went surfing....I found this french recipe Creme de laitue http://www.soupsong.com/rlettuc1.html
Of course I fiddled with it! I did not have romaine, I forgot the watercress, and I skipped the cream and the 2 egg yolks-I don't need anymore fat! LOL! And I threw in some tired green onions. Oh I'm forgetting about the potatoes! I had some boiled potatoes lying around in the fridge so I threw them in!!! DELICIOUS! That was a mighty tasty soup!
I wanted to eat salmon, but didn't want to roast it in the oven because it was so hot and muggy so I turned to thie recipe Poached Salmon with Green Goddess sauce. http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/poached-salmon-with-green-goddess-dressing
I cooked the salmon as per the directions but fiddled with the sauce! LOL. I put less parsley,more tarragon and no fresh garlic, I used a bit of garlic powder maybe 1/2 a teaspoon. This was sooo good! I swear I could slather that sauce on everything!
And the salmon was even better cold the next day! No I didn't take a pic of that...I was too busy stuffing my face! And I served it my green beans from the garden....YUM!
The big garage sale was a total bust....nothing vintage and what they had was way too expensive! The Salvation Army was not better. Dan pointed a vase and said: We have a vase just like that! And I answered: Not anymore... It's our vase! that was hilarious!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You know what's funny? You cook just like me... I'm always like, I made this recipe but not really because I didn't really have this and I used this instead and I hate that... lol. But it looks great! And I love poached salmon. Its so good and always moist and tender and is great cold!

And I love crunchy nothing iceberg :)

Vonlipi said...

When I plan my meals then I have time to gather the ingredients, but spur of the moment I wing it! When you've been cooking for a long time as we, we kinda know what will work or not.

By the way I'm not implying your old! lol, just that we are probably in the same age range and since you have an 18yrs old kid, you have cooked a lot i'm sure!

For the iceberg: Good for you! I've grown it in my backyard and it's a different ball game totally! I love the fresh factor of the iceberg(since the water content is so high) but I never buy it...;)

Unknown said...

oh hell yeah...old. some days older than others :)