Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Retro Tuesday: Corticelli Pull Skein

Welcome to OMG it's so late it's almost Retro Wednesday but still tuesday and I was soooo lazy I still have a holiday hangover! Too much fat and sugar and not enough sleep and veggies!

I picked up this wonderful box of embroidery thread at the Salvation Army quite a while ago. I enjoy cross stitching and embroidery even if  I do it only a couple of times a year. It seems I never have the right color....we have no stores that carry yarn ot thread in my part of the boondocks and let's face it all the little mom and pop shops are being replaced by Starbuck's or Shopper's Drug Mart. So I was eager to grab it and run to the cash register. It's almost always the same cashier, probably from the Phillipinnes.
I would love to see her home because she aways makes a face when looking at my purchases...Is she paid a certain amount for each face she makes? Anyways, you know the face, wrinkly nose and upturned lips, you can almost hear: ewww! That is soooo tacky! GAG ME WITH A SPOON!

Here's the cover

She looks so happy! I want some too!

Close-up. Would you say it's from the 50's?

Look at that cornucopia of embroidery goodness!

The kicker is that my Great Granfather Rochon (Gran-mimi's daddy) worked for that company. He lived in Verdun, Qc on the shore of the St-Lawrence river where the fire station and the McDonald's now stand. He had a huge plot with several buidings and stables. He would get horses from Scotland for his stables. The horses arrived here with their grooms and if the grooms were married, their wives went along for the journey and would work in the house. and you know the Maple tarlets I showed in my last post? There's a very good chance the recipe came to Québec with one of the groom's wife.
Those tartlets were my Great Granfather's very favorite. He could down 2 or 3 in a sitting with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. We're talking  about 1920 or 1930. How's that for Retro Tuesday?

I'm in the process of translating that recipe so I could post it on Thursday (I hope).

It's not too late to visit my hilarious pal Tracy for more Retro Tuesday right here HERE!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG that's way cool, way way way cool. And ignore people who don't get it...funny my post about about similar 'not getting it'

lol

Maureen said...

Pooh, pooh to the cashier. I think it's awesome!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

The box is so cool and the colors.. oh yes...beautiful. I don't think cashiers should have an 'attitude' at the thrift, our buys keep them in a job!

SixBalloons said...

I wonder why she would sneer at this purchase, it's great! So nice that it has some sentimental meaning. Thanks for the Pyrex assistance again!

The White Pear Tree said...

That box is cooler than cool and I'm pretty sure it would have caught my eyes too! (I used to like cross-stitching, when I had more patience...)

That cashier should lose the attitude. She's not exactly working at Sak's Fifth Avenue, know what I'm saying?

Next time you should ask her, "What's with the face?"

My friend's grand-parents used to own a wool store in Verdun years ago. I wonder if they sold those products?

Can't wait for your maple tart recipes, even though I won't try them till next Christmas probably, as I need to lose weight...