Friday, January 7, 2011

What I kept and the LONG awaited recipe!

A glorious morning to you! I apologize for not posting the Maple Tarlets recipe yesterday; I was busy with taking down the Xmas tree and changing the beds. As much as I love LLBean flannel bedding...fitting a comforter in one of their comforter covers is like running on a threadmill for 20 minutes!

I did 2 and was out for part of the afternoon! I want to thank my blogger friend De Tout De Rien for her very generous offer to translate the recipe. It was much appreciated! But I did want to try my hand at it. Please, if you read things that don't make sense don't hesitate to write! And by the way I don't even know your name and couldn't find your email (sad face).

Remember my rant about the vintage Xmas lights? Well I was lucky enough to find a box of new replacement lights for a mere .99 cents!

Oooh! I got red, yellow, fuschia, green and blue. I should be set for next Xmas!

 
So this is what I kept. The egg cups will go in the store, they are soooo orangey and fun!
An avocado Tupperware spoon rest (never used). How do I know it's never been used? No scratches of course! A medium bottle brush tree, one can never have too much of these.A Pyrex Flameware teapot lid, it has a chip on the inside but I will sand it down. Since I broke one, I'm always on the lookout for some and they can be pretty pricey on eBay...8-10$ plus shipping OY! 
 One small milkglass jar Night Formula from Beauty Counselor (with the Good Housekeeping seal of approval) and a glass and enamel dresser container.
And of course a Pyrex divided dish which I believe is from the Horizon pattern. I'm usually not a big fan of divided dishes but I could'nt leave this one. I saw myself serving 2 kinds of veggies in it.
I feel I did pretty good at 9.00$ for the whole kit'n'kaboodle.

And now for the recipe.

Maple Tartlets (tartelettes à l’érable)


You will notice that these contain NO maple whatsoever…but that’s their name I swear.

Yield: 12 tartlets
1 pie crust recipe

Heat oven to 375F

Roll the dough about ¼ inch thick. Cut with a round cookie cutter or a teacup. It needs to be big enough to fit in a muffin pan. Put the dough rounds in the muffin pan and place a cupcake paper cup in each, fill the bottom with dried beans. This will prevent the dough from puffing up too much.

Bake from 5 to 10 minutes. Dough needs to look dry. Remove paper cups and beans. You can keep the dried beans in a mason jar for another time. Be careful those beans will be awful HOT!

Filling

1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 oz soft butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pinch of flour

Mix everything in a bowl. Pour about 1 tablespoon in each crust. Bake at same temp for 5 to 10 minutes until dough is golden. You have to keep an eye on them, they tend to burn quickly. Let cool in the muffin pan for about 20 minutes. Remove carefully.

Let cool completely before storing in a container. These are best eaten the same day or the day after. If you keep them too long the filling will crystallize.

Ok now dear readers a word of caution! These are very sweet, if you eat too much your eyes might glaze over. No joke! And to think that my great grand father would eat 2 or 3 with a scoop of ice cream...Every time I think of this I go Whoa Nelly!

7 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love all your thrifting finds. Those orange egg cups are super cute! I have so many divided dishes now that unless I find one in pink I would hesitate to buy it. Love them but how many can a girl have? Oh wait, I'm talking Pyrex here so lots I guess. Those tartlets look amazing.

MomWaldsPlace said...

I'm lovin' those egg cups too! The lights are pretty in the box without even being plugged in.

The White Pear Tree said...

Hmmmmm, those tarts look amazing! You did a great job translating the recipe! You make me laugh when you say that you have to eat them within a day or two or else they crystallize. They would never last long enough at my house for us to find that out, lol! Thanks for posting the recipe!

Sorry, I am trying to keep a bit of anonymity, but maybe a bit too much! My name is Nicole and I now have my email on my profile.

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! The recipe and the thrifting yummys!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Great finds! I'm not surprised at all that you kept that divided casserole....it's Pyrex after all!
Sherry@Back2Vintage

Jim said...

What a good deal you got! Love those egg cups. I have a few orange things around the kitchen.....amazing how orange 'pops' out at you.
Jim

Charlene Austin said...

Hi there.....I found you through Pyrex Collective. I'm not an author there but I LOVE that website. Heck I don't even collect Pyrex but one of my best friends does and it's so fun to see all the finds.

Anywho....I'm just wondering if you will be putting the green spoon rest in your Etsy store? I'd be interested if you were. I live in Calgary.

Thanks and have a wonderful weekend.

Charlene
www.willowandpaisley.typepad.com