Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What a Thriftastic Day!

For the past 3 years, I've visited the Salvation Army in January and the results have been dismal. Really! You could hear crickets announcing the total lack of thrifty goodness.

But this morning I was so in need of thrift...I could feel it in my bones...the need to thrift...the need to see someone's crap and make it my treasure!

Tonight on Intervention...she started innocently enough...collecting a piece of Pyrex here and there....but she can't stop herself....She actually feels ill if she can't thrift! And stuff keeps pilling in her house and basement and garden shed and even in her father's house! A rare crossover Intervention/Hoarders...Miss V's addiction!

So here I am in the Salvation Army scoping the lay of the land....checking for treasures....

And I see some Pyrex Flameware casseroles; you know those with the removable handles, except that the handles are missing...rats!

But as much as I love Flameware I allready have some...so I left them there for a lucky thrifter.

A super cool Corelle Cornflower blue coffee pot (I left it there too)


Excuse the bad lighting...a really old Pyrex casserole with the etched lid....I nearly got it for my Dad but as he's always telling me he's in the big declutter fest of his life...I thought twice and left it there.

Ok a real bad pic. A close-up detail of the lid.

One of the tacliest kitchen gadget of all times...I give you the Rotato....Guess what? I left it there!

Here's my cart....I purged it before going to the cash....:(

I left the 2 yellow 503 fridgies. This is really freaky because those are the third and fourth ones I find in the same Salvation....And I left the clear casserole....

I wanted to take a pic of what I came home with but the lighting was too eeewww in my house...so probably tomorrow with the tartlet recipe...If I can translate it....It makes me soooo nervous....but I will give it a try...Pinky swear!
   My new fave show is the Big Bang Theory, it's hilarious! Ans surprisingly enough Canada's no 1 comedy...weird!

13 comments:

happileah said...

cool-I've never seen a fridgie in my life (other than on the internet!) They must all be in your part of the globe...

p.s. I LOVE the big bang theory, too!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love how you describe that need to thrift!! Yes I feel it also. I've been good about editing my cart before check out also. It has occurred to me that I only have so much space and I must bcareful..sigh....wish I had more shelves just for Pyrex!

janjan said...

Well done you, it must have been hard not buying stuff. I keep telling myself I don't really need it.
I haven't seen fridgeies here either (australia) but then I've never looked for them. The pyrex here in our op-shops should really never have been put out, not fit for anything and if its in good nick the price is sky high.
I have that corning ware coffee pot somewhere in the shed. Must drag it out.

Jan

ps love the big bang too, just watched the one where sheldon needs a lift cos he won't learn to drive.

SixBalloons said...

I love those yellow rectangular fridgies. Now if I could only find that size in my fave pattern of Spring Blossom!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I love that Pyrex dish with the etching.

Alyssa said...

Oooooh! Is that some Pyrex I see in your cart? And a pair of egg cups? Looks like you had a wonderful time.

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Why can't I find one of those lids with etching??? Good thrifting!!!
Sherry@Back2Vintage

The White Pear Tree said...

"...the need to see someone's crap and make it my treasure!" ROFL!!!! Thank you for the laugh, your post is so funny!

You showed remarkable restraint! You should be proud.

If you want, I can translate the recipe for you, that's what I do for a living. (For free, of course!) I've done countless recipes in my day. It's a piece of cake for me! (Or tartlet, whatever the case may be!)

MomWaldsPlace said...

Bravo to you for being selective. You can do it, I believe in you!

The lil' brush tree and egg cups alone would've made my day. You, dear, lead a charmed thrifting life.

Wanted: A Pea for My Pod said...

I so miss my old Goodwill. They had the perfect mix between new and old. I got my stepson a talking Yoda there for $3, then found someone was selling the same one (apparently a collectible) on Ebay for $700!!

But, since we've moved I have had no luck finding a comparable thrift shop. So sad. Going to the old Goodwill was a three hour therapy session for me. LOL :)

Unknown said...

I love big bang its my fave show too, oh bens too!

Bargain Hunting Treasure Seeker said...

Great finds! Love the Pyrex and the orange egg cups!!!

Anonymous said...

Haha! I hear crickets all the time at my Goodwill. I think the people who donate to it have super bad taste. I never find anything there! You must have super will power to leave behind that Pyrex. Sometimes it just has to be done though.