Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Homemade deliciousness....

Yesterday I woke with the NEED to bake, to make something delicious....

I had been toying with the idea of sorbet lately, partly because of the upcoming garage sale there was talk of selling the ice cream machine...
Dan gave it to me like 10 years ago and I only used it 2 or 3 times. I wasn't too crazy about their recipes (They had raw eggs....eurk!). I don't dig eating a bowl of salmonella!
So I was watching Chef at Home last week and Chef Michael Smith was strawberry sorbet and it looked delicious....And I happened to have in my freezer an unopened bag of 4 field berry mix! And a bag of aging granny smith apples....So I made apple sauce, cooled it. Defrosted the berry mix, zapped it with my immersion blender with 1/2 teaspoon salt, the juice of one lemon and 1 1/2 cups od sugar and the cooled apple sauce. I then proceeded to dump the whole kit'n'kaboodle in the ice cream machine for 45 min.....after I stored the sorbet in a barely used Tupperware ice cream container. 2 things people! Use the things you have and no way the ice cream maker in going to the garage sale! LOL
I also made a simple Quatre-Quarts (french version of pound cake) and added 1/2 cup buttermilk in the batter (another thing I have in my fridge that I have to use....)



So a slice of cake, a scoop of sorbet,a dollop of whipped topping and I am in heaven! Especially served in Pyrex!Lol!
That was a delicious dessert and thrifty too 'coz I had all the ingredients on hand(and some I had to use ASAP)
I read in a Flickr group post (A slow year) that some people are going refrigerator LESS. Yes that's right, getting rid of the fridge and using only a freezer and a cooler. I am SO not there!
I don't know if I'll ever be!
On another topic...Today is church basement day! I'm looking forward to see what treasures I can find!
And I found a new church basement which I will be visiting tomorrow! Goodtimes!



No comments: