Thursday, December 18, 2014

So Easy

Today I will share one of my favorite holiday treats....I found this recipe in a McCall's magazine Xmas number in 1992 (but not 100% sure).

I remember the kitchen on 2nd ave in Verdun with its black and white floor and mediterraneen  feature wall...You know...mustardy yellow with sponge paint effects...You've seen some for sure.

So if I remember correctly I was on the lookout for a low call, fat free treat...And those hit the spot!

Peppermint Meringue Kisses

4 egg white room temp
3/4 to 1 cup of white granulated sugar
pinch of cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
crushed peppermint candies or candy canes

Pre-heat the oven at 175F

 I freeze the egg yolks 2 by 2 to add to recipes later
Don't forget to label the containers
 
Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
add the cream of tartar and when combined add
the vanilla. Then you add the sugar 1/4 cup at a time
and beat until completely dissolved.
 
Then on baking sheets lined with parchement paper,
with 2 teaspoons drop teaspoonfuls and be sure
to leave little peaks.
 Garnish with pinches of crushed candy.
I found these pepermints bits at Walmart in Plattsburg NY on a roadtrip
in November. They were approximately the same price as candy canes, and I didn't need to crush them. 
 
Cook 2 hours with the oven door slightly ajar.
Turn the oven off and leave to cool completely overnight.
 
 
Sweet and crunchy and pepperminty!
 
 
Enjoy!!!
 
 
Oh and guess who the cat dragged in?
 
 

 
Henry!!! Back from a world tour....
He will be spending Xmas with me at my house of Pyrex!

1 comment:

Cheapchick said...

I love meringue!! Now I want to make some - too many treats, too little time lol. Merry Christmas/Happy New Year!