Sunday, September 21, 2008

Hummm Apple pie!!!

I had some requests for this recipe after this picture was viewed on Flickr. So I translated it, I hope the instructions are clear and that you will enjoy this dessert as much as we do!


Maple caramel apple pie

1 rectangle of puff pastry (from a frozen pack) Let thaw in fridg during the night
1 cup maple syrup
3 to 4 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons corn starch
6 to 7 big Cortland apples peeled and quartered (not McIntosh, they would make too much juice)

1 9 inch deep pie plate

Put the syrup in a pot on medium heat, add the butter to melt. Then mix the cornstarch with about 2 Tablespoons of water and add to the syrup. Bring to a boil until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool on the counter.
Mix the syrup (now caramel) with the apples and pour in the pie plate. Cover with the puff pastry that you rolled and tuck the dough around the edges. Cut some slits on top of the dough so steam can escape. Brush the crust with egg wash (If you want more browned, use just the yolk)
Bake in a 375F oven for an hour (45 min was just fine in my oven). You might want to put the pie plate on a cookie sheet to avoid a caramel mess in your oven…After removing it from the oven, wait at least 20 min to eat or if you wish you can invert it on a service plate and serve with ice cream or heavy cream. I have never inverted the pie, it sounded too risky to me…
Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

jenscloset said...

I am so excited to find your website!! I love Pyrex too (and sell a lot of it! I'm glad to see you actually use it! You have some great pieces! I first found you from your flickr pics!

Vonlipi said...

Thanks! It is great to meet a Pyrex fan! I have Pyrexia real bad, and the only cure is to get more Pyrex....It is interesting to learn that you sell Pyrex too!I hope you come back to visit soon!