Sunday, August 15, 2010

Comfort Food Deliciousness

I'd been dreaming of Mexican lasagna for quite a while now...I couldn't find my recipe...rats

I checked the internet and here's what I found...

 MEXICAN LASAGNA


I believe it comes from A  Taste of Home. It was a Mexican lasagna (recipe below), with layers of yummy goodness!


1 1/2 pounds ground chicken (I used lean ground beef)

1 cup each diced onions and diced green bell pepper

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed (I used more)

1 cup diced tomatoes

1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn

1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

2 cups pasta sauce  (I used plain ol' tomato sauce)
1 cup medium salsa

1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro (more,more,more)

4 large or 8 small whole wheat flour tortillas

1 1/2 cups shredded light sharp cheddar cheese (I used a blend of light mozzarella and cheddar)

1/4 cup green onions (more)

sour cream, optional

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the ground chicken (or ground beef), onions, green pepper and garlic over medium-high heat until the chicken is no longer pink. Break up any large pieces of chicken as it is cooking.

Add black beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Add pasta sauce, salsa and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro and remove from heat.

To assemble casserole, spread a third of the sauce mixture over bottom of casserole dish. Top with half of the tortillas, overlapping and cutting them as necessary to fit. Top with a third of the sauce mixture, followed by half of the cheese. Cover cheese with remaining tortillas, followed by remaining sauce. Sprinkle remaining cheese over sauce and top with green onions. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.

As part of my mexican lasagna fantasy, I was assembling it in this particular Pyrex casserole. It the 475 size 2 1/2 quarts and it fits small tortillas perfectly!

I took it out of the oven and it looked pretty pale...so I removed the foil and stuck it back in the oven for about 15 mins.

Layers of yumminess!


Last layer....I was worried that the green onions would taste blah after cooking but they were heavenly!

All bubbly and hot from the oven!

I served it with a green salad. It was better than my old recipe!
Since I looooovvvveeee leftovers; I had enough of eveything for a smaller second one that is now waiting in the freezer! In Pyrex of course!

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Toronto Yardsaler said...

This looks so yummy. I love Mexican spices.
I'll make a point of trying it.
Erin

Linda @ A La Carte said...

That looks so good and I like the changes you made. How clever to do it in the round PYREX casserole and have enough for another one to freeze. You are so clever girl!

Maureen said...

That looks and sounds delicioso!

Sarah Lillian said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I made it for dinner last night and it was super tasty! I blogged about it as well.

http://daydreaminginturquoise.blogspot.com/

About to eat leftovers for dinner tonight!