Monday, April 4, 2011

Retro Tuesday: Better early than late!

I know I know this is Monday night and all of america is watching DWTS. I confess I'm watching but just from my right eye....I have been dreaming of mexican food....Not any kind of mexican food, but the kind that lives deep in my childhood memories....

In the 70's my BFF was sylvie and she stayed my friend well in my 20's. Her family was different, her father (an engineer from France) was building a sail boat from the ground up in Plattsburg NY, her  mother (a french Canadian) was the first person I knew to cook Vietnamese food from scratch at home). I would often go to Lake Champlain on weekends with them. We would sand and stain, hang out at the marina and the supermarket (Price Chopper).

Once they took me to Tijuana Jail Mexican restaurant....OMG it was a revelation, I had never eaten mexican cuisine. Was it real authentic mexican cuisine in the 70's? Your guess is as good as mine!

If I remember correctly I had tacos, corn chips and salsa maybe guacamole...Everything was so fresh and crunchy....aaahhh memories!

The crowning glory was mexican fried ice cream.....Vanilla ice cream in a flour tortilla fried and sprinkles with cinnamon. It blew my mind! Heck I'm still thinking about it!

I tried to go back over the years, but either we couldn't find it or it was closed. I don't know why but I've had Mexican food on the brain lately. So I've been trying to find out if it was still opened, or if they had a website. I also wanted pictures! Pictures of cheesy 1970 mexican food!

Well I was really disappointed. Not only I didn't find anything on the web, but I also found out that Tijuana Jail is now closed and in the same local now stands an english pub! NOT THE SAME!

AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH! Now I need to find a cheesy place for my mexican food fix!

Sorry I don't have pics :(

Have a great Retro Tuesday!

5 comments:

Maureen said...

I love Mexican food! In our little town the restaurant closest to my house is Mexican and my daughter has a second job there. I love it!

In Montreal (centre ville) we used to eat at El Coyote, Mexicali Rosa's and Carlos and Pepe's - not sure if any of them are still there though.

Tara Beaulieu said...

Mmmmm Mexican is one of my weaknesses. We took my sister in law out for her bachelorette party to a small, authentic family owned place that makes me drool just to recall it!

Nothing beats the spice and flavor of tasty hot enchiladas or burritos topped with fresh pico de gallo and guac!

Thanks, I think I just gained 10 lbs. ;)

svelteSTUFF said...

OH, The FRIED ICE CREAM is THE BEST!!! A New Mexican Restaurant just opened in the town where I work... and they make the most awesome Fr. Ice Cream - like I have been searching for, for years!! ... crispy cornflake coating on a scoop of sub-zero vanilla ~ fried, put inside of a fried 'tortilla bowl', drizzled with honey, whipped cream, cherry.... mmmmmm

OH YEH - I hear ya girl!

Unknown said...

You know.... I think that might have been the time I had my first mexican food. But then I didn't have a shrimp cocktail till I was 18, so not surprising probably

Anne@Kitschy Vintage said...

Your posts lately are making me hungry ...and now I'm thinking about Mexican, too! I can't remember the first time I had Mexican, but I'm sure it wasn't authentic!