Monday, June 7, 2010

Rain at Last!

It has been a lovely quiet, cool and rainy weekend. We even turned the heat on yesterday! It made me feel all cozy and snug as a bug!
It's defiitely a nice change after the torrid temperatures and the drought. I sure hope all the forest fires are extinguished.

But before the rain hit I had to cut some of my beautiful peonies and bring them in. It seems that every year, when the peonies are in bloom. there's a series of showers and next thing I know NO MORE PEONIES!



Here's a small bouquet in a milkglass Pyrex bowl with a spout. This bowl was part of a Mix Master mixer set and belonged to my grandmother Gran Mimi (my dad's mom). I find the flowers delicious in that bowl.



Here's the bigger bouquet in a big milk glass Pyrex bowl. I think it was part of the same
Mix Master set, however this one doesn't belong to Grandma. It thought it did but Dad set me straight! 

We went to the movies on saturday night. That was a big deal. We never go on saturday (cheapskates). I go on cheapie tuesay and with 2 for 1 coupons...I think charging 11$ for an adult ticket is highway robbery and the popcorn! Let's not go there!lol
I have a Scene card that gives me a rebate on the popcorn, but it's still near 6$ for a bag of corn! I usually smuggle pop and water 'coz I would probably have an aneurism if I had to pay an extra 10$ for beverages!!!

We saw the Prince of Persia and loved it! It reminded me of old adventure movies, a cross between Indiana Jones and The Mummy. Very entertaining indeed!

I made a very nice salad on saturday...I'll call it Tuscan Bean Salad, here's what I did:

I took a 19oz can of roman beans, drained and rinsed them. Added some very thinly sliced onion (about) a quarter but it's to taste,  some fresh chopped parsley, EVOO, salt, pepper, white wine vinegar and some provencal spice mix. I let it stand a good 30 min on the counter.

It was GOOOOOOODDDDD!!!!



Yes, it's in Pyrex! What did you expect? If you don't have a Provencal spice mix, I recommend Herbes de Provence, if you don't have that either...well rosemary and thyme would be good I'm sure!


I'm glad to report that I now have 60 followers! WHHHHOOOOOHOOOO! A very warm and thrifty welcome to Lois Munger and Kim @ the girl can't help it! Welcome ladies, welcome I hope you'll enjoy your visits here! Great blog Kim! You can all visit HERE

Have a great week! 

6 comments:

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

That salad looks and sounds great. I'll give it a try.

And yes, I saw Prince of Persia yesterday and I love it. Ain't Jake just soooo buff!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Your peonies are gorgeous! Mine have come and gone...way too fast with so much rain! Love them in the milk glass mixing bowl!! Of course! Sounds like a good movie but I won't watch it till out on DVD i'm afraid! :)

Unknown said...

Totally with you on the prices in movies - it's crazy. Popcorn and soda - $20, really?

Maureen said...

Turned on the heat!??? Wow! When I was there it was steaming hot! One night I couldn't sleep because I smelled something burning and it was the fires that near Joliette.

Your peonies look beautiful against the white glass.

heidi said...

bea-u-tiful! i can't wait for my hydrangeas to bloom [and i bought a sweet old lady pink peonie bush for myself for mama's day]! i still need to mail your cookbook. will. do. it. promise!

France Guérin said...

The pivoine looks great in the Milkglass! I love it!