Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Retro Tuesday: Vintage Hamper Glory!

Happy Retro Tuesday everyone!

I'm a bit late but I have a good excuse! I was cleaning and rearranging the second pantry. Second pantry you ask? My kitchen doesn't really have room for canned goods (too much Pyrex?) so I use part of the wardrobe in the hall. The Danmeister is on vacation and what does that mean??? PAINT! And in this case some building too and changing those miror doors on the wardrobe. So I took the opportunity to clean and throw out expired cans of soup (2005). I can't believe I missed that. I rearrange the canned goods at least  twice a year! Oh well!

As for my Retro Tuesday post....Let's travel back in November 2009 shall we? It was cold and misty and I was riding my trusty bike to the postal counter (where I now work). I was mailling objects from my store. And one the way back I saw this diamond in the rough, this amazing piece of thrifty goodness, this once in a lifetime opportunity....It looked like it was in the garbage but not really...But it was too large to carry on my bike, oh no what's a girl to do?

The next day while running errands with Dan. I stopped by and it was still there...and I shoved it in the car.

Of course there was talk that my craziness had reached new heights and no way that thing would come in the house it was gross and smelly. But I just couldn't resist! It was representing perfect mid-century decor...


Look at that fab hamper! The Eiffel tower, the poodle, the pink! So fab so 50's so dirty, gross, smelly and falling apart!

Of course I'd manage to convince myself that I would fix it...the bottom was missing, the back was all ripped up and a leg had gone AWOL....






And it spent most of the winter in the garden shed....



It even is signed!
Every time I would look at it...I would come to my senses but just a bit....
And yesterday I finally realized we would never fix it and it was taking a lot of room and I'd better throw it out while I had the courage....Well it's sitting outside waiting for the big garbage pickup special July edition.

I hope somebody will fall in love with it and give it a new home.


5 comments:

Maureen said...

I can see why you picked it up - so! I might be picking your trash if I lived near you!

Tara Beaulieu said...

It's adorable, but alas! I think we all have collected stuff to "fix and make fabulous later" only to come to realize it probably just isn't going to happen. All the same, it is really sweet, hopefully someone will snatch it before the trash man comes and take it home!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Oh I would pick it up if I lived near you. I love the pink, the Eiffel tower and the poodle!! Perfection!

KobysCache said...

I like what you did. Picked it up - PHOTOGRAPHED IT - sent it on it's way! Enjoy your photo, it was a stunning graphic!

SixBalloons said...

Vonlipi, Storybook Ranch blogged about the exact one but opposite colour! http://storybookranch.blogspot.com/2010/07/stuff-i-didnt-buy.html