Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Retro Tuesday: Thanks but no thanks!

A glorious Retro Tueday to you!

One of my fave blogs is 1972 the Retro WW Experiment. Mimi is hilarious and always posts weird recipes. Some of the weirder ones contain weiners as ingredients! I feel that hotdogs are such a WW NONO! But I was not following WW in 1972 and I'm sure that they were a  nice change of pace from that god awful liver...

So when I saw these pics I thought of Mimi and her Thanks but no thanks segment....


Budget Beaters! From Campbell's....Spaghetti with tomato soup and hot dogs! And a Tuna Burger! I know the economy is slowly recovering but are any of you making this?


I personnaly feel a baked potatoe is something perfect with just a bit of butter and sour cream (ok,ok chives) but with tuna...let's just say it it gives me the willies!


Which would you choose? The Spam country dinner? The Spam rice ring? the Spam 6-in-1 Supper Bake?
Well NONE for me! This is the original mystery meat! What was it before? leftovers to be....By the way the winner is...SPAM Country Dinner!

And last but not least...I actually started feeling faint when I saw this one....


Baked bean topped with sliced 'cheese' green bell pepper rings and ketchup! Who dreamed up that nightmarish recipe? The good folks at Kraft of course!
Please don't bother inviting me if your cooking that for dinner tonite!

All those wonderful retro ads were courtesy of Ladies Home Journal  November 1958.

For more Retro madness be sure to stop by Tracy's blog Crazy Suburban Mom

And do visit Mimi HERE for the skinny on retro WW!

7 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Do these fall into the 'what were they thinking' category?

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Growing up in the '60's in Newfoundland, Spam was a regular Sunday occurrence. Roast beef or chicken for a hearty lunch; Spam and potato salad for the evening meal. AND if you showed up unexpectedly at someone's house and they invited you to stay for a meal, the Spam would come out of the cupboard! I loved it then! I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole now-a-days!

Maureen said...

Blech!

Unknown said...

Arrrrgh is all I got. Tuna on potato? Those are so bad news dinners... and I love her blog too!

Unknown said...

OK if you held a gun to my head and made me choose, I'd have to go for the Spam super bake. At least the Spam appears to be more of a garnish than a main ingredient.
Eesh~I wonder if anyone actually ate this stuff.

concretenprimroses said...

I suppose if you use tuna in a crab cake recipe that might be like a tuna burger.
Kathy

Mimi said...

You are such a DOLL!!! Thanks for the shout out.

I'll let you in on a secret: I actually love Spam! It's true! The Spam Ring almost made me drool. LOL!

I still don't understand why hot dogs were considered diet food? Oh well!

PS: Love you blog too, my friend xoxo