Monday, June 14, 2010

Happy Anniversary House!


Today marks the 15th anniversary of the day we got the keys from the notary for this little house. Happy B-Day house! You've been good to us and we thank you for that. Even if I sometimes think you were built with leftover saturday night remnants; this is sooo much better in french! Faite en restants de samedi soir; meaning second quality, not strong, flimsy. You've been strong and secure winter after winter, windstorm after windstorm. Being near the Ottawa river we get MAJOR wind!

So thank you house! You keep us dry and comfy and make us feel good. We love you and are looking forward to many more years with you...
There is NO place like home!!!

She was built in 1945 as 2 cottages (?). I know 2??? And that's all I know (mostly). Sometimes in the summer, I will look outside and there's this old guy standing in the yard (never the same guy)  saying that he used to hang out here or walk through here and there was no road before....

It seems that at one point the cottage or cottages belonged to Yvon Deschamp's parents (he a very famous quebec comedian). Now since my dad was friends with him, my dad hung around in the summer when he was like 18. So that means my dad was at my house way before I bought it! How crazy is that?
Of course I had no idea at the time I bought the house...No idea whatsoever!

I had a very busy saturday. We had to be in Old Montreal by 12:30 because the new Cirque du Soleil show (Totem) started at 1. I feel very blessed to have seen this show. I realise a lot of people can't afford tickets. They are crazy expensive! If my dad didn't work for Cirque du Soleil I don't think I would ever have seen any. This year's show Totem was so much better than last year's. Really! It felt new and fresh and the set was gorgeous.

After the show ended (4 pm) we had to make a mad dash west to get home, change, feed the cats and be in Salaberry-de-Valleyfield by 6pm  for our year end country line dance party.
The food was delightful and we danced our asses off until the last beginner song...
Yesterday was lazy and fun...we went grocery shopping at Maxi &Cie (Canada's Superstore for the rest of the country) and since they have tons of other stuff we spent a lot more than we should've, but it was great fun!
Today it's kinda rainy, so no pool work this morning, instead I'm doing the wash...No joke it's my favorite chore!

Have a great week!

7 comments:

happileah said...

Wow, that's pretty neat that your dad used to hang out at your house and WHOA-your home used to be 2 homes? did they just build a connecting room or did they move them together? that's so interesting! Happy Anniversary :)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Happy Anniversary House! I like that, what a great way to say thanks to our homes! I love the photo and to think your Dad hung out there years ago! I have never been to Cirque de Soleil but hope someday to see it! On TV it is wonderful but in person I bet it is amazing!! I received my Birthday card from you and I am still laughing! Thank you I LOVE IT!! Have a great Monday and I'm doing laundry also!

Unknown said...

WOW! Thats so cool, and I really wish I lived in a house with a history...

France Guérin said...

Happy Anniversary to that beautiful house! There is a lot of stories behind, especially where you live! I know, my roots are from that Island!

KobysCache said...

Lovely story. Happy Anniversary of your Home. Doing laundry as well...what else to do on Monday?

Maureen said...

Bonne Anniversaire! What a cute house!

I've never been to Cirque du Soleil but would like to. The little bits I've seen on TV look brilliant!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I am so jealous over your Dad working for Cirque! J'adore Cirque!! I was lucky enough to see Saltimbanco in Halifax a few years ago.

And a very Happy Anniversary house.